Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, actually for now. I do not have any plans to paint the car. I'd just like it uniform color/primer look. Can Rustoleum Primer be rolled on? How would that be thinned?

Thanks

Yes... you can do the primer with a roller. In fact further back in this discussion thread, there was a link to a body shop association web site where they were actually lauding the 'rolling' of primer instead of spraying it. It would seem that the auto body industry is calling the 'rolling of primer' the next logical thing for shops to implement. Save application time... cuts down on noxious gases in the air ( enviromentally friendly ) etc.

I think the previous discussion in this thread about the Tremclad/Rustoleum primer was mixed on whether to thin it or use it 'straight'. It would appear that both work and the merits of either way balance out no matter which way you go...

If you thin the primer :

PRO : By thinning it you can get it to lay down smoother and it cures quicker...

CON : By thinning the primer you may affect its adhesion quality. You also will have a thinner primer surface to work with when you sand it prior to painting.

If you apply the Tremclad/Rustoleum primer straight from the can..

PRO : You will get a thicker layer of primer to help cover minor surface glitches and you will have a thicker surface to work with when sanding prior to painting. Adhesion should be at its best since you are using the primer in an untampered state.

CON : The curing time of the primer will be longer because the primer is thicker.

With the Brightside Pre-Cote primer... both of the above things apply.

With the Brightside Pre-Cote primer you can add 50% of your chosen color to the primer to give it a heads start towards the end color.

The same may apply with the Tremclad/Rustoleum primer. In that you would lay down an initial layer of straight primer. Then you would follow up with a second layer that is a blend 50% - 50% of the Tremclad/Rustoleum primer and the end color paint.

Thanks. So how would i thin Rustoleum primer? I'd like to stick to that because i can get it locally with no hassle. I wouldnt stray too far from out of the can, just a little thinner is what i would prefer. If i remember right it is laytex based, so how could i thin the primer?

Thanks!