Quote:

Hey Exit, The paint job is looking awesome man. Now is this just after wet sanding and no polishing done to it? Either way its looking really sharp. Since reading this post from day one I have been checking out peoples cars on the road and I'm finding even top end cars ($40,000 and probably more)coming from the factories having terrible orange peel underneath the clear coat. I have been seeing this on lots of newer cars including my own and makes me go WOW!!! So I wouldnt worry to much about the little bit of orange peel your getting. Although I will probably be the same way (picking my own work apart like charger said) when I start to get paint on my car after the sheetmetal work is all finished. Looking good man wish I was to the painting point on my ride but "good thing come to those who are patient???? ". Good luck with getting it on the road. Jay

That's with just the paint, no wetsanding or polishing done yet. And like I said I'm going to try to avoid wetsanding if I can help it.

It's pretty hard for me to tell how "bad" the orange peel is compared to cars out on the road, since I haven't had this thing outside. One thing I realize though is that it's time to move on to other things like the engine and tranny.. the paint really is EASY to do , so once the thing is running and I can see it in more angles and in more light, I might decide to sand it all down, then put 2 more thin coats on to get the orange peel down. But that could easily be done in a few days time.

So for the current paint job, all I've got to do is put another coat on the driver's door where I fixed something before the last coat, then I'll consider myself "done" until it's running and I can see how good/bad it looks out on the road. Then I have a feeling I'll be putting more work into the paint, whether it's another few coats, or just wetsanding the orange peel down then polishing. Maybe, maybe not.

ANother thought i had regarding the gloss retention, it's so easy to put another coat on, that even if the gloss only lasted 2 years, it's a matter of a couple hours prep and a couple hours to paint, then you've got great gloss again. You could even change the color at that point