Quote:

I'm wetsanding in the garage.. what I use is a soft sanding sponge (320 grit, but it doesn't matter since I just wrap the paper around it), a bowl of water, a lint free cloth for cleaning the car (bought a 6 pack at walmart), and a spray bottle.

I start by spraying down the entire surface to be sanded. The water usually stays there in beads. Then I'll dunk the paper and sanding sponge into the water, and start sanding while spraying. I do the whole panel (the whole hood, whole fender etc.) before wiping it down. First wipe it dry with the cloth, then rinse out the cloth a few times and go over it a few times with the cloth still moise, until the residue is gone.

Also, as Charger suggested way back when, it works well to use your hand to hold the sandpaper, especially on tight spaces. Also on tight, contoured spaces I will bunch up the cloth and put the sandpaper around that, so it takes the shape of whatever I'm pushing it down and sanding on.

If anyone out there knows where to get a quality spray bottle, let me know. All of mine eventually start working badly, leaking or the lever thing starts sticking..

From what you described it sounds similar to my technique except I was using the hose since I still need to pick up a bottle. I'm doing short quick linear motions which seems to work well. I started sanding through on a few spots but am pretty sure that it was because they were high spots from the original prep. I just looked over the piece a few minutes ago and saw it was laying down very nicely. The two original bare metal spots have no orange peel to speak of so I'm VERY happy with the results. I just found a crack in my front bumper's ground effects so I'll need to replace that but I figure I'll paint the current ones then paint new ones once I get them with the same amount of coats. The way Charger described it, the colors will still match which is perfect for me.

Charger, since you've been doing this for a while I figure you may know how this paint will handle snow. I know your beetles and charger are living in a garage but have you ever had ice buildup on this paint? My car lives out in the elements so I'm curious how this will handle ice and snow. I know it's for mowers and tractors but we're applying it slightly different so I figured I'd ask.