Quote:

Radio Joe,

What ratio of spirits to paint are you using?

Can you detail your process-

Your paint is looking really good. I am working with some of the safety red but it does not quite look that good.

Thanks,

Nathan

Thanks! I am really happy with it so far. I am using the regular rustomleum "Stops Rust" Gloss Black. I used low odor mineral spirits. I dont really have a ratio, basically just mixed it by feel. The first couple of coats were too thick so I have been thinning it to almost water. Its really quite thin! But it lays down really flat. The layer I put on last before the picture was taken was too thick too, it actually has a VERY fine orange peel in spots.... so I have to thin the next couple of layers a little better.

hers some things I found during my work... most have already been posted:

**PREP PREP PREP!!!! I didnt spend alot of time on the prep as far as removing small marks and such- And black wasnt the best choice on my car (But it just looks so good!). Make sure the car is absolutely flat with no blemishes BEFORE you start. it makes life easier and you will have a better finished product.
** THIN THIN THIN the paint. I use it almost like water and it lays down very smooth- usually with NO orange peel.
**Apply the first 3 layers and then start the wetsanding with 600 grit. this will give you a very flat surface and make the paint look that much better- 3 layers help to keep you from sanding through right away
**CLAY BAR!!! I usually hate these things but I picked on up at WALMART for $5.00 on clearance (MOTHERS BRAND). I use it in between coats I dont plan to sand to remove any specs that settled on top of the paint. The plan is to ge tthe last coat to lay down flat and use the clay bar instead of final sanding to eliminate some HAZE.
**NEW ROLLERS AND TRAYS- It makes it cost alittle more to keep changing the roller and tray but they are only a few dollars and you get better results
**********PUT THE CAR IN THE SUN!!!!! I am working in my carport. I put on a layer of paint in the morning, wait about an hour or 2 until it is almost hard and then push the car out into the sun. the sun really bakes the paint on hard. It seems if I just leave it in the car port- even for a few days, it doesnt quite harden completely, If I push it out in the sun it hardens in a few hours. SOmetimes I put on a coat of paint at night before bed, and in the mornign it is still tacky. I will push the car out of the carport before i leave for work and let it bake in the sun all day while i am at work. I am hoping when I am doen with all the paint, it should be nice and sunny and hot here in South Carolina so I can leave it to bake in the sun for a week or 2 before putting everything back together.

So far I have 1 quart of paint on the car, when I am done I think I will have used just over 1 quart of black and 1 and a half of SUNRISE RED. I think the total cost I will have in the paint job including the rollers, paint, tape, spirits etc will be $100.00.

As for sandpaper- I could only find little packages of 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit in the auto department of WALMART or the local pepboys/autozone etc.

What I am most happy about is the renewed interest this has goven me in my stalled project.