Quote:

heres a question??? on my car i have some paint residue from wet sanding on my door jams and the trunk area. and i dont want to wet sand the areas because it will be hard to buff the paint (unless i have to). but how do i get rid of these marks.

If it is just wetsanding residue... the odds are that you 'should' be able to take a damp cloth wetted with water and rub it off. In theory it is just dried off crap that is sitting on the surface of the original paint. So the cloth will give you the scrubbing capability and the water will help release the dried crap off the surface. In theory it is just de-watered wetsanding residue. And the water in the cloth will rejuvenate it back so that it can be released from the paint surface. And if you used dish soap during your wet sanding, that will also help when you re-wet it and make it more agreeable to release from the original paint.

Ok.. so let say that doesn't quite do the job.. move things up a notch in power for the task and use a cloth wetted but not soaked in mineral spirit and wipe the crap off without harming the dried paint beneath. In theory the paint beneath is fairly hard and cured or else you wouldn't have been able to wetsand...

Then as a potential atom bomb... to take things up yet another notch in power... you can buy a spray can of that laundry 'pre-cleaner' called "Spot Off'. Or maybe you can find a spray can of that stuff under your kitchen sink or in your laundry room. It is extremely potent. You will find it in the laundry cleaning supply section at your foodstore or Walmart etc. I was able to use it to remove paint from my gray leather seats. It also was able to remove some of the wetsanding crap that I thought had stained the leather. I didn't check at what the solvent is in it.. but I was surprised by how effective it was at getting crap off a finished surface without damage the original surface. You spray the "Spot Off' on to a cloth - get the cloth wet - and then rub away. Just keep your eyes open and keep checking the progress of the rubbing to make sure it is not lifting more than you want. I was extremely surprised by how potent that stuff was at getting crap off.

Just don't go too nutzo on your rubbing. If you are lucky the residue is all just sitting on the surface and not engrained into the paint below.

Last edited by Marq; 09/09/06 09:19 PM.