you need to find a good foam pad to polish not a wool string pad. and dont use rubbing compound use swirl remover compound.

i had the same problem as you and back in the thread i finally read where not to use the wool pad. wetsand the car with 800 grit to get the orange peel out then with 100 grit to get rid of the 800 grit marks then 2000 grit paper to finish then polish, you will be amazed on the outcome. also go to walmart and get the blue microfiber towels, they are blue and are in a 3 pack rolled up they feel thick these won't put scratches in the paint. there are others and when you buy them you can wipe the paint dry and if they do scratch you can take it back and get the right ones.

use 3m 05725 foam polishing pad i got mine on ebay for 30.00 for 2 of them.
then get 3m 06064 swirl remover in a quart for 40.00 from the local bodyshop supply store or on ebay.

then a buffer like the porter cable or any 7 in buffer that has 2 speeds. i have a old sears buffer that is still kickin and ive buffed my car twice so far with great results but i keep finding waves in the paint so i strip and repaint 3 times already now i will sand and buff again and see what happends....