Quote:

Camron,

I am in the same boat you are.

I am using brightside black (after an attempt with some orange paint I didnt like the color of). I, too, am working outside and there is no way a final coat will look good by itself. Way too much dust and bugs in the air. I have also sanded it, mostly with 1000, down to a pretty uniform dark satiny grey color. I will try polishing it next to see what I can come up with.

I'm actually painting in my garage, I have a household HEPA filter running contantly on high, but I'm pretty sure the goobers are from foam. I start with fresh rollers and foam brushes at each paint application, I even roll them lightly on wide masking tape to pick up any linties, but it's not helping.

Quote:

When I rinse off the trunk with water after wetsanding, it looks absolutely sick! super shiny and reflective, as good as any factory paint job, a few small ripples but no orange peel. Im just hoping i can get that effect by polishing enough.

Yeah, it looks good, huh?! So that I can see best what I'm doing, I'm colorsanding outside in the sun with constantly running water. Even when wet, though, the black is not as deep as right off the rollers...

Quote:

That is what I should expect if I can polish it absolutely smooth, correct?

I hope so! That's what I'm depending on! I've been scoping out autobody101.com for colorsanding/polishing tips, but I may try 69Charger's Turtle Polish method first... I picked up the polish while shopping for project supplies, and I already have a random-orbit el-cheapo buffer (need to get fresh terry bonnets, tho). I'm just not sure how long I should wait for paint to cure before polishing.

I think Marq had considered skipping final wetsand and going straight to polish, but I believe I still have too many faint brush marks to pull this off. I'd like to be able to skip as much wetsanding as possible, but I'm just not going to cut corners with my elbow grease!

Last edited by CamronCamera; 08/08/06 08:01 PM.