so i am new to this forum, i was linked along time ago through the pirate4X4. I have read the entire first thread and am about halfway through this one.

I have been experimenting on an old mustang body i have lying around in preperation for a second mustang that i will restoring in the near future.

I have been using rustoleum profesional gloss black, and have been following the recomended procedures. I have a couple of questions though (keep in mind this is my first experience doing any paint on a car)

when i wetsand, even with 600 grit, it takes me forever. To sand half a hood took me over an hour to do with a sanding block. My paint comes out very smooth and uniform with very little or no orange peel, and i wetsand until the water no longer beads up on the surface and the paper slides smoothly over the surface. When i do this i still have lots of tiny glossy spots left, so i sand the rest of those out too until the surface is completely smooth and flat (looks kinda like primer) Any ideas why its taking me so long? Am i wetsanding too much? I read that it takes people 20 minutes to do a panel, so i think im not doing something correctly.

also i did about 8 thin coats and finished with 1500 grit paper on my final wetsand, and when i went to polish (10 inch random orbit and no. 7 polishing compound) i got ZERO gloss. I spent about 30 minutes in a small area about 1'X 2' area with no success at getting any shine. It came out looking no different than it does when i wetsand it. Any thoughts on what i might be doing wrong here?

I have been reading online articles and books about wetsanding and polishing and havent found any answers, im just poor broke college student trying to get some respectable new paint on my car so any advice is greatly appreciated .

on a side note i have been working outdoors and it as been an average of about 20F to 45F during the entire time ive been experimenting with the paint, if it makes a difference.

thanks again
gaven