Quote:

Cal96:

I'm also using the Wagner (Which is now $45 after rebate @ Home Depot, btw) and I have a couple of questions:

I'm finding that I can't spray properly when I hold it perpendicular to flat surfaces: How did you spray horizontal surfaces like the roof and the hood?

How many coats did you use total? I have about 1.7 coats (I put on a roller coat before I sprayed, but I took it down with some 800) and I'm getting pretty good coverage... I'm thinking 4 coats would be enough? I'm hoping to finish this before the weekend.

-Morwan

$45 bucks? did anyone sign the paper or anything...maybe i can just grab a rebate paper and send it in...lol.

perpendicular spray: the gun has a "L" like shape nosal...when you angle the gun, more paint will lean to that side....th "L" can be moved to pointing back, if you are painting upward..cuz all the paint will be moving downward...you should have less problem if the container was full but we arent spraying that much. i think mines was at 40 not sure, ill check again later. but your car might be diff. mines, i just had it pointing forward , away from me. so when im painting down (perpendicular) most of my paint will be at the front of the container...also i spray the hard part first...i had nothing to hold my fenders, bumper to an higher ground where its easier to spray. so i spray those part first...on the roof, i was standing on a chair. spray one side then go around and spray the other. and make sure you hold the cable with your left hand and spray with your right (if right handed). them cables be touching everywhere! and water the ground so dust dont fly up when spraying. that should cover the hood too..
i used about 6-7 i guess, some day would be thicker then others. i had this problem only cause i was mixing still and wanted to see what color i liked (adding black, then thinner then more black...) so my car isnt one same color of layer...only last 3 where same. sanded it all with 800 grit. try to spray it smooth without orange peels as possible. omg, i cannot tell you if you dont youll be wetsanding the whole car everytime you finish your layer...thats pain in the butt. also do NOT use cheap tape when taping up your car. if you dont listen youll find out later.
yes, 4 coat could be enough. if you dont have sand marks showing or bondo area. just spray slightly thicker and let it bake in the sun. next day if i dont smell paint i know its dry. good luck!

Last edited by Cal96; 07/17/06 05:46 PM.