Quote:

smyrna5, I like the color you mixed. Do the pics look close to the real thing?

Uhmm. Yes and No. As I said in one of the posts, a lot depends on the lighting when you take the picture, and computer monitors are infamous for not rendering colors accurately. Publishing guys go through all sorts of hoops to get colors looking right in print and on the web. Perhaps since 69Charger has boosted Rusto's sales so much, he can get them to either start mixing again, or put an interactive mixer on the net like this one:

http://painting.about.com/library/blpaint/blcolormixingpalette1.htm

My advice is to get a color as close as you can, then figure out what needs to be added, and do a small test with various combinations in small amounts.

My color is now darker than it was for two reasons. First, I have more paint on the car, and second because I added some black to darken it. Now, its probably a bit too dark, but I will keep adjusting until I like the match. The problem is trying to keep track of what you did, which is why I think you need the tests where you write down the proportions. The amount of mineral spirits and what you paint it over will also affect it.

If you are not trying to match a factory color, and like one of the standard colors, or just want to mix one up you like its a lot easier. White paint lightens it and black paint darkens it, just as you would expect. Yellow and blue make green. Red and Yellow makes orange etc.

Walmart carries the pint cans of Rustoleum ($3.37 US) in basic colors, such as black and white, so you probably don't need to buy a whole palette of rustoleum quart cans in all the colors. The guy at Home Depot said they didn't order Rustoleum colors and the guy at Ace Hardware told me they would order anything the warehouse had. I wanted Teal, but no one had it so I decided to mix my own.

I found a painters color mixing wheel on the net that I thought was useful, but I can't seem to find it now.

I love those old Ford trucks.

Last edited by smyrna5; 01/12/07 07:43 PM.