Quote:

I am concerned about this uneven coloration once I get to painting. When shopping for paint supplies, I did pick up a can of the Pre-Kote Interlux Grey Primer for Brightside "just in case," with the hope that I could return it unopened. I'm not sure now. I may brush over the existing primer spots with black Brightside, sand, evaluate, then do my first full coat of black... unless I'm just making more work for myself.

The uneven coloration is something you would face with Tremclad/Rustoleum or the Brightside during the initial build up of layers. You may recall previous messages where we discussed how the paint, when applied with a roller and properly thinned is almost translucent (you can see through the layer of paint your are rolling on )

With all three paints you will find the coloration will even out as the layers of pigment accumulate in the layers.

It's like taking ten pairs of sunglasses. Put one pair on and you can see through the glasses with a tint (this is the stage you are at with the initial paint layer).

Put a pair of sunglasses over the initial pair of sunglasses and things get darker... keep putting a pair of sunglasses over the other sunglasses and at some point you will not be able to see anything ( espedially imagine trying to look through six or ten pairs of sunglasses at the same time ). The effect is the same as the building up of paint layers using either of the paint types.

The value of the Pre-Cote at the start of the painting process would have simply provided you with a uniform colored substrate to begin with.

Last edited by Marq; 08/01/06 01:07 PM.