Quote:

Looking good Marq!

How hard would you say the paint feels? Have you done any scratch testing on any of it?

I'm definately keeping this stuff in mind for my next paint job.

At this moment the paint is quite hard. I believe that if I pressed the back of my fingernail into the paint it would not leave an impression.

But maybe the more important way of describing the current hardness of the paint is to explain a little 'accident' that I had this afternoon while backing the car out of the garage. The wife had placed the barbeque in a bad position. And stupid ME... I backed into it. When I went to examine where the trunk lid had hit the barbeque I found a scratch that went down one or two layers of paint. The scratch looked just like you would have expected on a car with a couple of years old paint job. The scratch was clean and you could clearly see how well that paint had dried.

If you look at the above picture, the 'scratch' is the dark area on the driver's side of the trunk lid, below the spoiler. Yeah I know.. its hard to see. It's about 1 1/2 inches in from the drivers side of the trunk like. Looks more like a fly landed on the car. But it was about a 1 1/2 inch scratch running from below the spoiler to the bottom edge.

If you check out all the other pictures in my little collection you will not be able to see the scratch at all from all the other angles of pictures that I took...

http://www.snpx.com/mclaren/mclarenJuly/index.htm

I quickly grabbed my foam brush and applied one quick swipe of Fire Red over it. It immediately blended into the scratch and self leveled. It will probably take one or two more quick swipes to 100% hide the scratch.

The fact that it is hard to spot at just one brushing of paint is good testimony to how easily it should be to take care of road rocks etc ( which can chip away at the most expensive of professionally applied paint jobs ). Although their 'cure' or 'fix' is nowhere near as cheap or easily done as this was.

So I think this speaks really well to the benefits of the Tremclad/Rustoleum paint jobs and the Brightside paint jobs... in that the 'scratch' resembled a 'keying'. And the repair is no more complicated than reaching for your trusty foam brush and paint can.

Last edited by Marq; 07/22/06 05:43 PM.