Watch the movie they provided that gives a brief example of how to paint a boat.... ( I just added this link to the original post ).

In the free booklet the dealers hand out, there are more detailed instructions on the 'roll and tip' method of applying paint. Which you will find is the same as what we are already doing with the 4 inch high density foam rollers.

The fat guy in this movie is using just a brush to apply and level it...

http://www.yachtpaint.com/USA/hotlinks/perfection_intro.mpeg

They only provide the 'intro' on their web site, but at the dealer they have a CD with the full movie on it that they give out ( when they have them and they haven't all been taken ). You might be able to request one be mailed to you by Interlux if your local dealer doesn't have the CD

As for the primer... when you get a hold of the fact sheet or their booklet that they hand out at the store... the 'primer' is a nice luxury but not necessary EXCEPT when applying the paint over certain materials... like aluminum or worn out gelcoat etc.

The main thing I read through quite a few boater message boards is that you can lay this marine paint directly over sanded enamel paint.

The problem with the PERFECTION brand paint is that it is so potent that it can wrinkle up old paint trapped beneath it. So in its case the primer is a definite necessity. But the BRIGHTSIDE is compatible with the enamel and has no reported ill effects.

Personally, I might be tempted to use their primer for two reasons :

a) to establish a uniform color on the car body from which to layer your chosen color. The biggest problem with the Tremclad method is that if you had multiple colors that you were painting over, it took extra layers to get 100% coverage of a uniform color.

b ) their primer would provide the absolute best surface on to which you would be assured the maximum of adhesion of the BRIGHTSIDE paint.

However, I did read on another site where a user did an adhesion test by trying different substrates with this paint. His conclusion was that he got the same level of adhesion on 'their primered surfaced' as on a sanded surface. It was all quite scientific how the guy went about testing it and the results look pretty authentic and not based on theory etc.

I think you can also find the 'roll and tip' information in greater detail on the yachtpaint.com web site

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/default.asp

Last edited by Marq; 06/29/06 01:34 PM.