Quote:

Smite said.... "

Also, I didn't want to say anything yet, because I may not being doing it quite right yet, but I can sort of relate to what Chuck was saying. After 12 hours, I sanded the paint down dry and I noticed it was gumming up the sand paper (600 grit). This makes me wonder about what Chuck said. It makes sense what was said if it doesn't harden enough, and also makes sense that it might stay a little soft since it is rust paint. "

.. My thought on this was previously explained and I guess you didn't read my post. Chuck is 100% right that Tremclad and even Rustoleum have a natural tendency to be soft even after a week or a month etc... IF YOU ARE APPLYING STRAIGHT paint.

But my theory is that by cutting the paint to a more watery point changes the way this paint performs. That is why I think the evaporation rate of the mineral spirit the thiness of the layers applied is very important to the end results.

If you don't put the right mix of mineral spirit to paint... then you are either going to end up with something that may not have the ideal combination to result in a quick hardening.

Too much paint and the curing process for each layer is going to be longer...

Too much thinner and the excess mineral spirit may have some impact on the layer that you are painting over ( probably leading to orangepeel ).

But please let me also re-clarify something that I had to explain to Chuck... I know what orange peel is. I know how to spot it and I know how to remove it. When I say that the ONLY spot on my car that had orange peel WAS THE REAR QUARTER near the fuel door... I have absolutely no reason to to glorify the results that I am obtaining. I am just reporting things as they stand at four coats...

I think the only thing that anyone should be afraid of in this Tremclad paint project is the number of VARIABLES that we have seen and how it is a tiny bit of voodoo science to land on the exact recipe that will work on a given car..

a ) Rustoleum or Tremclad
b ) odorless or regular mineral spirits
c ) environment temperature
d ) environment humidity
e ) even the color you choose seems to require some deviances in the recipe...

And these variables are what can ultimately trip up a user that is trying this... So maybe the odds are stacked against someone because you have to go through eight or ten layerings to get to the end of the project.

Heck.. I could get tripped up on the fifth or sixth layering... or maybe my fate is awaiting me at the nineth or tenth layering. It's a real gauntlet and I suppose that patience is the last variable that has to be thrown into the mix.

So I am not a Tremclad cheerleader yet. All I can do is report on how things are proceeding and to explain what measures I have taken to try make this job repeatable with consistent results.