Quote:

To remedy that situation ( if that is what it is ) I would hit the entire surface with a quick 320 or 400 grit wet sanding. Wash it down with water and a drop or two of dish detergent. Rinse it thoroughly. Let it dry. Then give the entire surface a wipe down with a clean cloth dampened with mineral spirits. Let it dry. Then apply the next layer of paint. Let that layer dry thoroughly ( 24 hours ). Then use a tack cloth to wipe down the entire surface ( to remove any dust or bugs that may have landed on it overnight ). Then add a second coat of paint.

I'm no expert, and I agree with everything you said, but when I painted the vette, I washed the car, let it dry for about 2 hours (100 degree heat), wiped it down with a soaked mineral spirits rag several times like I was scrubbing it again, then after about an hour of drying and prepping for the paint, I painted. I didn't wait for the 24 hour dry time. I see that many like to let the 24 rule apply with the mineral spirits, but I have actually wiped a bad roll/mixture off of the whole hood while it was still wet and re-started. After the 10 hour dry time with the paint, the mineral spirits didn't pull any paint off when I wiped it down for a quick next coat.

To sum it all up, I didn't find any signs that the 24 hour dry time was critical in this paint process. The Rustoleum is pretty hard stuff, so far.

On a side note, the insurance guy looked at the vette and let me raise the policy $3,000 more. Not a bad return for $26.

The picture shows my 1st pass with coat #1. Notice the bubbles and the coverage of the paint compared to the section on the right. I still had to "work" the bubbles out by rolling several times (various directions)until the bubbles get real small or none at all. The persistent very tiny bubbles, I used my mouth to blow and pop them.

3645378-1pass.JPG (415 downloads)