Hey folks, I've been following this bad boy for a while now and planning the whole time to apply this technique to the ugly $750 Dart I bought. I've finally gotten around to starting and I'm doing just the trunk as a test. I've been working on the prep for a few weeks now and hopefully tonight will be the last coat of primer before final wetsanding and then paint.

I'm going with Rustoleum Professional in Gloss Black on top of Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer. I took the trunk down to bare metal to deal with dents and horribly checked paint (a repaint, I believe) but I'm hoping to avoid that on as much of the rest of the car as possible. When they say prep is 90% of a paint job they most certainly are not kidding... Black is unforgiving in what it will reveal of a prep job and for that reason I am being patient and meticulous. Nevertheless, I'm prepared to live with whatever imperfections may survive. I mean, for only a a hundred bucks...

Here are a few pics of the process so far. I was totally amazed when I thinned the primer out the first time, went to bed with it looking orange peely, and came back in the morning to find it looking just like it had been sprayed on. Hopefully the paint will act the same for me.