okay, been reading this thread for a while, and finally decided to give it a shot. i have a 95 camaro that was really hagard looking, and very faded. figured i couldnt make it look any worse, it couldnt go anywhere but better.
i sanded the car using 80, 100, 220, and 400 grit before applying the first coat. everything looks great at this point. from reading through all the posts it says apply 2 coats before wet sanding. I am using rustoleum pro gloss black. applying the 2nd coat was quite hard. it was difficult to see where it was going on, and where it wasnt, and where it was to thick, and so on. i did half the car, and it gave it a lot of orange peel. im concerned at this step. what is the benefit of the 2nd coat before wet sanding?

im thinking of wet sanding to 600, paint, 800, paint, 1000, paint, 1500, paint, 2000, polish.

other steps i see using 600 all the way, and then 2000 on the final coat, what seems to work best?

last question for now, when wet sanding, should you be able to see any of the gloss, or should it be totally hazy (kinda how it looked at 400 right before painting). Ill post of pics for reference when i am at home.

any advice is welcome!