Quote:

Quote:

I'm getting ready for the Rustoleum/mineral spirits/roller method. Did some minor bodywork followed by Rustoleum Professional red primer in a rattlecan. This was a week ago. Last night I wiped down the area with mineral spirits, and some of the primer came off easily. Do I need to be less vigorous with my cleaning, or has the primer not totally cured yet?

I found that the initial wiping of the primer with mineral spirits always produced a residue on the rag. The harder I rubbed, the more residue would come off. So I just stopped rubbing so hard. If you had it curing for a week, that is plenty of time to dry. I think the can says 24-48 hours. (if you are in Alaska and its 30 degrees it might take longer.....)

Note that when you are wiping it down, you are just trying to remove any new impurities (anti-stickients?) that might have settled on top of the paint while/after it dried. So its truly wiping, not vigorous cleaning.

I'm hoping to do my next to last coat of Rustoleum tonight. It seems like I've spent MONTHS painting and sanding, mainly because I HAVE! I'm actually apprehensive about the final two coats because if I screw them up then I'm back to wetsanding (again).

Wish me luck.

Thanks, Steve. I'll take it easy on the rest of the car ('64 Triumph TR4).