Quote:

Maybe someone can provide insight as to why Brightside has become somewhat the exclusive yacht paint maker. I have read really good things about Epifanes which if purchased from the right person is not too terribly more in price. There is also Petit which too is comparable in price and quantity. Any ideas?

I don't think even the boaters would agree that Brightside is somewhat the exclusive yacht paint maker...

But what you can say about Interlux is that they have distribution channels for their product worldwide.... and they probably do that better than most paint companies. So it is only natural that the most available paint will become a ready choice for a majority of boat painters.

Second, the Interlux and in particular Brightside brand have been around since day one. History tells us that those who have been doing it the longest... usually have a successful product ( otherwise they would have disappeared off the map like many of their competitors ).

Along with longevity... comes progress. If a company is constantly improving their product - then they are going to remain a market favorite. The Brightside paint for example feature UV compontents and Teflon components. This is something they have added to their product to improve upon it. Some companies are still flogging the same paint formulation that they were using 30 years ago.

I think the price factor also helps Brightside maintain marketshare among the boat painters. It is cheaper then many of its key competitors. So in a consumer oriented world, people have no problem paying a fair price for a proven product.

I think another factor is performance in the real world. Companies can make all the boast and ads they want to flaunt their product. That might draw in a boater the first time. But if that product does not live up to the hype - people will use another product the next time they go to repaint their boat. And as well... word of mouth among boaters can kill a product that fails to perform in the long term.

One last thought is that Brightside ONE STAGE polyurathane was designed to be applied by AVERAGE JOES like you and me. The Petit product, although probably superior - is not only expensive but also somewhat more difficult for the Average Joe to apply. It is not a simple 'paint on from the can' product. So if a product can generate consistent and repeatable good/excellent results by Average Joes... then you gotta know that it is going to be a favorite of the Average Joes everywhere.

I could rant on but I think these are just a few of the key reasons why Brightside has the lions share of the market and the consumer loyalty.

I am simply an average Joe... and just as Charger has generated new sales and a use for Tremclad/Rustoleum, I have generated news sales and use for Brightside. And all three of those companies only got our endorsement because their products performed and achieved what we wanted to do