Hi all. I've been lurking here for quite some time gathering information about how things should be done. I really appreciate the efforts of everyone before me and the moderators for keeping the various threads alive.

I do not have a Chrysler.Mopar vehicle, so please don't hold it against me. Though my first car was a 1971 Dart 2-door with a 318.

I am painting my car with Interlux Brightside (white) using an HVLP sprayer.

I've removed everything I could. Windshield (to correct other damage), bumpers, lights, trim, quarter windows etc.

I scuffed the entire car with a Scotch bright pad and repaired what few rust spots the car had and filled in with spot putty. Where I have exposed metal, I primed with white Interlux Prt-Kote primer.

I'm thinking I probably should not have used white primer as it's kind of hard to see where I've painted (oops)

I waited about a day after priming and I sanded the primer with 320 paper to flatten it out and put down 2 coats of paint thinned down with 10% Interlux 216 thinner.

Question, should I sand the primer? Or is the texture of the un-sanded primer better for paint adhesion?

The car is 20 years old and overall the original paint is in good condition, though I don't know what kind of paint it is originally (Volvo) I do know that it was a basecoat only and not a base/clear application.

So far I've painted the trunk. I have some orange peel. I know it's something of an inevitability, but what suggestions are there to lessen it's appearance? Add more thinner? More paint and less air in the mix? The last time I painted a car, lacquer was was still the way to go. I don't recall this much orange peel. It's not that bad, but it is noticeable. I have the gun set to lay own a vertical pattern using about 38-40 PSI. I have up to about 90-100 PSI @ 15CFM available to me.

After painting, I'm planning on basically reassembling the car(lightly) and wait for it to harden up for 30 or so days. Then I'll wet sand it then polish it out. What's the preferred polishing compound these days? I have a dual action polisher as well as a 5" 8" (D/A) buffer and a single action polisher with a wool buffing pad.

I know much of this may have been covered, but I was hoping if there were recent developments or updated procedures that anyone might have available.

I won't clog up this thread with photos, so here is my photo bucket link to the painting project page:

http://s366.photobucket.com/albums/oo110/Ursan_780/780%20Project/780_Painting/

Thanks all.