Quote:

Its brightside im not sure what disolvente is its the normal thing used to thin paint I used the same stuff to thin the paint I spray painted last year.

Thats about 3/4 coats and despite wetsanding to supersmooth between this is what it looks like. I am using the highest density rollers Ive found in my local paint shops, maybe thats not enough....?? Will wetsand down tomorrow and try to paint another coat but 30% thinned.

I left it 24 hours between coat and its quite hot here.

Well... I would not be wet sanding at this point. I would pull out something in the 400 to 600 range and use a sander to level it out. The way some of it looks, it almost appears like you could take a scraper and scrape it off.

The problem with this Spanish " disolvente " is that it may not be 100% mineral spirit. Some companies sell solvents that contain a little of this and a little of that ( oh and some mineral spirit ).

We know through experimentation how 100% mineral spirit ( both regular and odorless versions ) will react with the paint.

But if this packaged Spanish 'disolvente' is a combination of different solvents, it may 'cure' too fast... or it may be more powerful than 100% mineral spirit and have the ability to eat away at the lower coating.

After all... that is what mineral spirit is capable of... helping to remove uncured paint during a clean up... or for washing your hands to get the paint off them.

The one absolute answer to ensuring that the mineral spirit is not part of the problem... is to buy the 'genuine Interlux Brightside thinner'... I believe it is product # 333. At least that way you would be guaranteed 100% compatibility and predictability on how it will blend with the Brightside paint. Might cost a few bucks more than a no-name 'disolvente' - but at least you will know what you are working with.

Since you are using Brightside... the game plan might be to seriously sand the current paint back to square one. I know it is a pain taking 10 steps backward after all that work... but sometimes that is the easiest path to getting a decent paint job in the end.

Ok... so sand the puppy back to square one. Wipe it all down with a cloth that is gently dampened with REAL 100% mineral spirits. LET IT DRY for one or two days.

Take a 'tack' cloth and wipe down the surface of any dust or bugs that landed on it over the two day you let dry out.

Working in the shade... ( no direct sun ) and possibly early in the morning or late at night when the temperature is coolest you will paint.

Take the Brightside paint and don't cut it at all with mineral spirits. Pour it straight from the can into your paint tray. APPLY it thinly.... don't try to get 100% color coverage on this first painting. Just pretend you are trying to 'tint' the color on to the car. The thinner the layer the better. Keep sayin to yourself... 'thinest is bestest'...

Let the vehicle dry in the shade... Don't leave it out in the sun or where the paint will dry faster than it normally would like to. You have to remember that the paint is using this time to self-level... and if it dried too quickly it may not reach its maximum level of smoothness before the drying process stops it from leveling.

Now... let that initial layer dry for two days. Let's just make sure this puppy is 100% dry before going to the next coat of paint.

For your next painting session... again pick a time early in the morning or late at night when temperatures are at their coolest.

IF it is a rainy day.... or foggy day... or the air is heavy with humidity.... don't paint on that day. Wait until you have a day where the air is dry... ( I know it is a pain to have to be relying on the weather so much... but it really does impact how the paint reacts and dries ).

Do your next coating of Brightside... just like you did the first layer. Use as little paint for each section as you can. The idea is not to load up a big wet roller and smear it around. The trick is to take as little as possible on the roller and spread it on like you are the cheapest guy in the world and you are trying to stretch out every drop of paint to its maximum.

Again... once this phase of the paint job is done... leave it in the shade and let it dry for two or three days.

Then come back again on a nice dry and cool morning or evening and repeat the process again. Applying a third superthin layer of paint.

Let it dry for a few days. At this point decide whether you want to add another layer of paint or to do a wet sand to work out any rough spots in the paint that has been applied so far.

If you are lucky... you may be able to go another coat of paint. But even if you have to do a wet sanding... it should not be much work... and your wet sanding should be very light... because the layers of paint can't be too thick at this point.

Hopefully this will help get your from your present state to a much better and more presentable state...

Marq

Last edited by Marq; 05/29/07 05:09 PM.