Quote:

Quote:

I really don't see the point of all that wet sanding between coats, why not wait until all your paint is down and dry?

IF there are slight imperfections in one coat... the later coats will act like magnifiers and make them more visually pronounced. So if you can knock those slight imperfections back as you go along... well the next coat will hopefully look 'that much better'.

That's not what happened to me. I would spend hours wet sanding off the orange peel finish until my fingers bled, then put on the next coat and the orange peel would come right back.

Additionally, in places where I sanded all the way down to the original factory paint, the thinned out Rustoleum would simply bead off those areas. So I'm afraid to thin it out any more than I did for fear that I'd get no coverage at all.

BTW, the factory paint and clear coat were well sanded beforehand (120, then 220, then 400) so I don't know why the Rustoleum was not sticking and being repelled off the factory paint like it was. I suppose this is one of the problems inherent in going from a darker color to white like I did.

Last edited by Peckinpah; 08/14/09 08:33 AM.