Quote:

Quote:

thats the worrying thing the first few coats was 10% spirits but as i got confident the last 8 coats or so were direct from the can. i've been putting on super thin coats

maybe it was just a dodgey can of brightside?

That is a good possibility.... For example, marine paint like Brightside (or even Tremclad or Rustoleum ) doesn't always tend to fly off the shelves of retailers like fresh hamburger.

Depending on where you bought the paint, it may have been six weeks old from the manufacturer or one year old. Some colors sell more then others... and are restocked more frequently.

Some stores move a lot of product... and some stores might only sell a can or two in a month.

I even recall hearing about a shipment of paint that had been exposed to extreme cold during its shipping from the factory to the warehouse and later to the stores. It turned out to be a rather troublesome lot of paint for the folks who bought them...

The older the product, the more likely that settling may have occurred - where the color pigment sinks to the bottom of the can.

In a case of extreme aging, there could even be a separation of the various chemicals used in the paint.

In most cases this can be sold by doing a really good and thorough mixing or stirring of the can.

BUT... heavily whipping up the can to mix the paint may introduce bubbles into the paint. So you may have to let the can sit for a day or two before using it - to let the bubbles float to the top of the can.

I wasn't too confident when I stirred my paint with one of those 'official' wooden stir sticks. So I took a coat hanger and made a shape out of some of it that looked like a long T shape. I attached it to my power drill and lazily used it to stir up the paint. The neat thing about the T is that when you stick it into the can the top of the T is what is spinning around at the bottom of the can. So that pretty well ensures that you have stirred up any of the pigment that had sank to the bottom and clumped there.

One thing that I will say in favor of Brightside and that folks may not have noticed is that on the bottom of the can they mark the LOT number which that can of paint was produced.

NOW... the lot number tells you two important things

a ) the higher the number - the more recent the can of paint was manufactured ( hence it is fresher from the factory ).

but even more important...

b ) you want to get your cans of paint all with the same lot number. Like any product being produced, there are variances in color between one lot and another. The ladies who knit and buy wool know this already. When they are buying wool to make a sweater or an afghan blanket, they always try their best to make sure all the wool they buy came from the same lot. This is the only way to ensure that they all have the same color.

Ditto for paint. If you look under the cans on the shelf at a retailer and there are

a ) 4 cans with a lot number of 441
b ) 4 cans with a lot number of 522 and
c ) 1 can with a lot number of 599

And you need four cans for your project, then you would take the four cans from lot 522. The 441 would have been the older product, so the 522 would be the preferred one to grab since it is more recently produced. And you would leave the one can of lot 599 because you cannot be certain that its color will be an exact match - even though it is a fresher can of paint then the 522

I don't recall whether the Tremclad or Rustoleum make use of lot numbers on their cans...

WOW! thanks for all that info,

ill make sure to give it a really good stir, im starting the prepwork tomorrow, bondoing some parking dings out,

i suppose the same would apply for the prekote primer im going to apply.

i havent attempted to lay this down before - has anyone elce tryed it? does it lay the same as the brightside?