Well, I have some thoughts on Mr. Slade's thoughts. In some parts, I agree. I do agree that spraying is faster. I do agree that spraying is less sanding and elbow grease. And I do agree that spraying is not rocket science either. I have also been to Slade's website prior to discovering the roller method.

But, there are several reasons that I so much enjoyed this roller method. To begin with, I was actually willing to do the roller method. I do not have a garage, just a shed. Having painted the exterior of the shed itself with an airless sprayer, my shoes and the plants all around the shed have a vivid understanding of the term overspray. I wasn't willing to take the steps necessary to prevent that again. I do not know anyone with a gun/compressor setup to borrow, and I didn't feel like renting one. Call me irrational, it doesn't bother me. It's my right as an American, and not worth getting upset over. I mean, there are people out there who bought AMC Pacers and more power to them. What I did have on hand was an old door I borrowed from my cousin, a 12 x 12 shed, and the financial ability to purchase the less than $50 worth of material to paint the door. Also, I already had a Porter Cable Polisher, and given the method, got plenty of opportunities to use it as both a sander and a polisher.

This method worked very well for me. I learned a lot about paint, a lot about prep work, a lot about polishing, and a lot about sanding. I really like not having to mask off the whole garage and my face so I don't get paint in my nostrils. It just suits my schedule also, though I could get spraying to suit the schedule also. More than anything, I am now confident that if I wanted to spray, I could do so. Painting is not magic, but you would think it is by the way some people talk about it.

Case in point: I posted a question about filler elsewhere on this board as I was prepping the door. I even put in the thread that it was for a practice door. I don't even have a car I'm going to paint. One of the responses I got was, to paraphrase as best I remember, "Have you ever painted a car before? Let someone else do it." Trying to be helpful, I'm sure, but I just wanted to do it myself. How else do you learn to do something?

Plenty of folks on here have not liked rolling. Supercobra Sergio is the most recent one I can think of because he posts those nice looking pics. He likes spraying better and we like his results. I like your results too, Mr. Slade. I also recall David Thompson did not like the time necessary to do this and ended up spraying his car and liking the results. Many of the points Thompson made I agree with. I also remember a guy with a Grand National who sprayed. One nice thing is that most everyone is getting off their butt and putting some paint on.

You mention Rick Wrench's site in order to get the "whole story". His page also mentions that he is sold-very- on this method of application. It works for him.

So, I did something I probably would not have done otherwise because of the information here, and someday I may spray too, depending on my circumstances. If that makes me a lemming, then I've learned a lot as a lemming and choose to remain one while I pick up some other skills I want to learn.

Spray on,

Tett

Last edited by tett; 10/08/07 09:28 PM.