Quote:

i think you guys are getting shiny-er results than me because your thinning the rustoleum.

By thinning the paint and building up layer after layer of thinned paint.. you are giving depth and shine to your paint job. When you slap on straight paint there is no depth to the paint and you are getting your shine only from the top glossy layer.

Quote:

Has anyone tried the electric HVLP guns? For $60 are they worth getting? Or will it be a waste of more money?

It can be done... but it is MESSY... you end up with overspray EVERYWHERE. You also are putting dangerous vapors into the air which will end up in your nostrils and lungs. The whole point of the roller method was to provide a mess free and cheap way of getting a good coat of paint on to your vehicle.

Quote:

What is the difference between mineral spirits and acetone? The rustoleum says right on the can use acetone to thin it.

Two major differences... drying (curing) time and hazardous vapors. Mineral spirits gives the paint plenty of time to SELF LEVEL and be worked. Acetone dries too quickly and the vapors it gives off are dangerous to your health.

Quote:

I desperately need to find a way to make this car shiny for cheap. I wont mind investing the $60 in the wagner gun as long as it does a decent job and will last many paintjobs....

Good results can be had with a spray gun... BUT your average Joe is probably going to botch it up. The roller paint method is more forgiving and mistakes can be made and corrected as you go along.

Sadly all of these questions have been previously discussed at length during the course of this message thread.