Quote:

? for marq if you remember i had the problem of putting autopaint on my car after a couple of months and had it all bubble up. so i gave up on the roller method but i am now back rolling after a few days drying i decided to try a test patch and put some autopaint over the brightside and nothing happened and i thought this is cool well after sand ing the brightside smooth i tried the autopaint again and it bubbled only around the edge of areas where i had sanded thru the brightside. other than that the brightside is looking fantastic.

wayne

The thing about Brightside paint is that it is designed to be used on all surfaces of a boat. So it is designed to withstand most chemical agents that might come in contact with it on a boat.. ( oil, gas, alcohol etc ). BUT like any paint there are some acetones ( like the carrier in some automotive spray paints - or nail polishes ) they can usually eat their way in to anything.

I can see the 'edge' being an achilles heel. In fact... even if you spray painted your entire car in automotive paint... and later went back to touch up some paint chips with - the odds are high that the edges of the paint chip would curl up and wrinkle. I have had that happen to me 'back in the old days' when I used automotive spray paint to do touch ups on road chips in my paint.

So I really think that there may be 'some' automotive paints that are unfriendly to 'other' paints - but even more importantly - they also tend to be unfriendly to themselves. The carrier - or liguid that carries the color pigment is actually the reason for the adverse reaction.

But we do know that enamel based paints and polyurathane single and two stage paints are compatible - and that their 'carrier' doesn't appear to have adverse reactios like acetone or other similar 'quick flashing ( quick drying ) paints ).