Apparently there is a name for this, it's called "fisheyes":

"FISH-EYES

(Crawling, poor wetting) - This paint failure occurs when paint fails to flow in an even and continuous film over its undercoat. it separates or breaks, leaving exposed areas of the undercoat."

The article I found says it's caused by contaminants found in oils and wax. All I can tell you is that it's been a nightmare, and has turned my first painting attempt into a six weeks of extreme frustration. And I had no way of knowing that things were not going right since it was my first attempt.

However, what I can't figure out is, why is this still happening when I try to paint over surfaces that already have 2, 4, 6, or even 8 coats of Rustoleum laid down? You can see in my picture that there is a reflection and the paint is doing the same thing over the already painted area (just not quite as bad).

The smoothest I have ever been able to get this paint to lay down with a roller, even over previously painted areas, is about the texture of an eggshell. No matter how smooth the previous coats of Rustoleum are sanded down.

So this is why I was saying earlier, why not lay down all six coats first and then wet sand at that point. For me, this would have made much more sense.

Last edited by Peckinpah; 09/01/09 08:57 AM.