Quote:

Well, I have some thoughts on Mr. Slade's thoughts. In some parts, I agree. I do agree that spraying is faster. I do agree that spraying is less sanding and elbow grease. And I do agree that spraying is not rocket science either. I have also been to Slade's website prior to discovering the roller method.

Plenty of folks on here have not liked rolling. Supercobra Sergio is the most recent one I can think of because he posts those nice looking pics. He likes spraying better and we like his results. I like your results too, Mr. Slade. I also recall David Thompson did not like the time necessary to do this and ended up spraying his car and liking the results. Many of the points Thompson made I agree with. I also remember a guy with a Grand National who sprayed. One nice thing is that most everyone is getting off their butt and putting some paint on.

Spray on,

Tett

I did try the roller method, I found it to be fine, I am sure I could get the hang of it after some practice, keep in mind that I have never painted anything before in my life, (well, except when using a few spray cans to paint the engine bay), but nothing mayor.

I already had a small compressor, I just went to Harbour freight, looked around and bought the cheapest HVLP gun there (11 dollars).... willing to give it a try just to make the painting process faster, started painting a few other things and found that it goes on much easier than rolling.
I also painted all these items and the Car outside on my driveway, with the first coats of Rustoleum (remember I am putting 2 coats of Rusto and then 3 coats of Brightside ontop of the rustoleum after wetsanding it, then wetsanding it again, 1000-1500-2000), I was getting a few mosquitoes around after painting with Rusto but no bugs when I sprayed Brightside, I figured what is happening: Mosquitoes get attracted by the Mineral spirits but not by the Penetrol, I use Mineral spirits to dilute the Rusto and Penetrol to dilute the Brightside. There's not a lot of overspray, the HVLP gun does a neat job of directing very small amounts of paint onto the car's surface, very very small quantities of paint, I needed to put 2 coats of Rustoleum and 3 coats of brightside, then after wetsanding in the wrong places (edges) I had to go and put another coat just over those spots.

Again, I do like the rolling method BUT I have 3 cars to paint and not enough time to work on them ! so Spraying is a lot easier (for me).
I am almost done with the Mustang, next is the Legacy GT (going ALL black on that one) and the Big Suburban (gonna do a 2 color paintjob on it).
On these 2 vehicles I am staying with ALL Rustoleum to make it cheaper, but I am going to dilute it with Penetrol instead of MS. (Have to do a test first, see how it flows).