Quote:

Why the roof came out so good with only one quick polish is still a head scratcher.I did everything the same,unless the roof dried quicker?

I suspect that roofs turn out better then hoods, is because the hood has also been subjected to heat from underneath during its lifetime. Whereas the roof only is subjected to the heat and UV of the sun from above...

The other thing about hoods is that they are the most visible for spotting any imperfections since they catch the suns rays and give off reflections and refractions with every beam of light. Although it doesn't explain the hood situation, except that you are not able to stand at the same angles looking down at it ( as compared to the hood ) to see similar possible imperfections.

Anyhow... I found that during the course of my waxing and polishing I tried a number of different products and each had somewhat different effects on the end shine.

My best luck at the final waxing was with just pure Carnuba wax ( by McGuiars ).. it smells like bananas. It seemed to penetrated better, take away any fogging, and put a better overall shine on the surface.

This is where you have really read the labels of the products that you are using - to fully understand exactly what it is claiming that it will do.

Possibly the worst product to use for the final waxing is one of the hybrid products that claims that it both cleans and waxes. Those ones tend to use some type of petroleum distillate as their 'cleaning' component. The wax or shiny chemical blended with those products may be compatible together... but you can't be sure how the petroleum distillate component may react with the paint you are applying it to.