Quote:

Rustoleum roller here. After putting my first coat on too thick by the guidelines established here, I'm starting to wonder if it might be the right way to do it after all. I wetsanded it down to get the peel out and broke through to primer in a number of areas but was left with a decent coat of black paint.

Last night I did a layer of "properly" thinned paint and while it did lay down with absolutely no peel at all, I'm left wondering about something. There is quite a lot of "stuff" in the paint: dust, fibers, cottonwood lint... I really don't see myself painting a second coat over that junk as prescribed by the method, yet I'm afraid that sanding it enough to remove the stuff will just take my whole layer off, since it's so thin. I'm tempted to just go back to thicker coats and peel sanding. Any opinions on this matter?

I just finished rolling my final coat of Rustoleum Professional Gloss black. I did a total of 5 coats. I would have done more but I'm pressed for time since this is my vacation and the car is my daily driver. I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to measure my paint. I mixed my paint @ 1-1/2 cups paint to 3/4 cups mineral spirits. This mix laid down nice and smooth but was still thick enough that I could wetsand off all of the peel without burning through the layer. I have an old dusty garage and I got lots of dust and even some bugs in my coats. I wetsanded after every coat of paint. Before todays final coat I wetsanded the car with 2000 grit and only cut off the tops of the peel and the dust in order to leave a little more paint thickness on the car. It came out super smooth. I'll post some pics when I get her completed this weekend.