Quote:

I don't know much about paint but has anyone thought about trying to roll on Dupli-Color Paint Shop paint?

Judging by the response I'd say not.

With so many choices so far, I don't know why I'd look for another. So far we have Tremclad, Rustoleum, Ace hardware, Tractor Supply, Van Sickle and at least one other in the alkyd enamels. In urethanes we have Petit, Brightside, and Rustoleum.

I think the key has always been to look for what is local and/or cheapest and give it a whirl. The magic has always been in the application of the paint, not the paint itself.

The key is not to thin the paint for the sake of making it thin, but rather to delay the dry time as to allow the paint to self-level. As many have reported, heat and humidity will change the optimum mix ratio as both affect drying time.

Most paint-shop paint is designed to be sprayed on and requires addition of hardeners and such. The beauty of alkyd enamel and monourethane is that they require nothing else to cure properly. For me, anyway, the simplicity of painting a car with just a few common tools and supplies found at any hardware store is what amazes me. No complex formulas, no expensive equipment, no overspray to clean up, no toxic cloud of chemicals wafting downwind, no large pile of money to get reasonable results.

Anyway, If it floats your boat, give the Dupli-color a whirl and let us know how it does. It is always nice to add another alternative to the list.

Last edited by Mike Da Wrench; 11/30/07 10:29 PM.