Last October painted my truck w/ Brightside and have noticed that I have adhesion problems. I think that I didn't sand the old paint sufficiently well prior to repainting. Also, I lightly coated with Duplicolor spay primer (primarily to hide the old darker color). I can see I didn't use sufficeient primer and this stuff might not be chemically compatible w/ the Brightside.

I'm testing an old fender with Brightside's roll on primer after making certain that I sanded properly w/ 120 grit. Ater the paint has had a couple weeks to dry I will test. Should primer be thinned like paint for a smoother coat?

Also, before the failing paint job I wiped down the truck w/ mineral spirits changing rags frequently. Maybe I didn't let it evaporate fully and I contaminated the surface (I see it take 333 a good 10 mins to evaporate on the test piece at room temp.).

Note this reccomendation from Rustoleum:
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGResourceCenter.asp?sn=sur

"Surface Preparation Guide
Incomplete or insufficient preparation is the single greatest cause of paint failures. All surfaces should be sound, clean and dry before painting. Use the guidelines below to prepare your surfaces for painting.
STEP 1
Remove dirt, grease, oil and chemicals
Dirt, grease, oil or chemicals may interfere with the adhesion of paint. Clean your surface with soap and water, household cleaner or trisodium phosphate (TSP) solution.

Do not use solvents to clean surfaces. Solvents tend to smear grease and oil and levae residue on your surface. Strong solvents can also soften a previous finish and make your new paint application susceptible to wrinkling.

Do you think they are saaying that MS can be a problem?

thanks

Mitch

Last edited by rustinaway; 02/24/08 10:46 PM.