Quote:

Quote:

wonder if macco is going to go out of bisness?

Speaking of Maaco, I'm curious as to how much the roller technique is saving us. It'd be grateful to get feedback from those of you who have contacted the Maacos and Earl Scheibs, especially those who had really bad clear coat peel. Roughly how much have those paint companies quoted you to sand away the peel and paint your car? When I see their quotes of around $200, I'm thinkin that's probably just to throw paint over a body and nothing else. Thanks guys!

(Oh, and congrats for making it on HRM! This is history dudes!)

Well, I have had three cars painted by three different places, MAACO, Earl Shieb and One Day paint and body.

All three times I paid more than $400 dollars. The guys at Sheib and One Day told me that for the $200 paint that they don't even wash the car. They just tack it down and shoot it. They said that even with wax and crap on the paint it lasts long enough for the customer to get out the door with shiney paint. Typical lifespan of that job is months to a year. He said the people who get that job are the guys selling used cars.

The jobs that I had done looked pretty good because I spent a LOT of time prepping them. But all have since faded and failed. They lasted about three years, which is about how long they said those type jobs would last.

And to top it off, I got NO discounts for me doing the prep work and a lot of masking either. the shops basically said what they charge is what they charge; they would not negotiate a lower price even if they had to do less work. In one case the car was just a shell, they did not have to do anything to it. What they did do though was go over my smooth body work with some rough scuffing pad and left visible scratches under the paint. The only reason to do your own prep work is to get a better job. The old tale of do your own prep and get a cheaper job is a myth from my experience. These places are so busy that they could care less about giving discounts for less work.

Just my experiences.

-Nathan
Albuquerque New Mexico