Thanks for the quick response Marq. I was hoping to have you chime in! Does orange peel begin to disappear as the paint cures to it's final hardness? It seems like the paint is showing less orange peel as it has longer to dry! Weird....

This thread / topic is absolutely amazing on how far and wide it's reached. Personally, I would like to know the website/user count/statistics before and after around the beginning of the second thread. I am sure website traffic jumped!

I am pleased that instictively you feel the same way I do. I felt that I should wetsand, yet inexperience kept me second guessing. Having the White Primer has one down fall - it's tougher to gauge the 'thinness' of the paint. I will have to cut the enamel a bit more. I kept the paint to the consistancy of milk, in fact it was very runny and seemed really thin (could see a seperation of mineral spirits and paint even after lots of mixing!)

To address your direct statements, there is a considerable amount of 'see through' on the truck. The white primer under it really deceives the eyes (and camera) to make it look like there's so much more Yellow than there is. The areas where the paint flashed after running, shows the runs are twice the yellow then the remaing paint around it. Tonight, I tested a small area on the back quarter panel with some 600 grit and the spray bottle. The difference between the wetsanded and non sanded area (to the touch) didn't feel hardly any different.

So, my thought (and instinct too) is to wetsand the truck down. If I get some white primer coming through, that's fine. Just wetsand now, cure a day or so, then coat 2. Let that sit in the direct sunlight for 8 hours, wetsand again with 600 and let it sit another day. Then, third coat and let that cure for 2 days in the sun. With taking the coats back, I can get that 'the dog pee look!' LOL

With the 'intense' direct sunlight Arizona provides for curing, and taking back paint by wetsanding after every coat, by the 4th or 5th coat I should have a good foundation to bump the wetsand to 1000 or 1500. Then, I will do a rub w/ mineral spirits to see what kind of finish I have. If I am not satisfied, then one more coat and some 2000 grit.

Lord knows it's cheaper to let the truck sit (not being driven) and take the time to do this than to drive it everywhere and fill up the tank every 3 days. The truck is my daily driver, and it only sees about 25 miles round trip to the office.

I am hooked on this thread and can't wait to post completed pictures! I will keep the camera close by and the progress/experiences listed here! I hope you all don't mind lot's of pictures!! <------ Is this a mullet toss or a mohawk? Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by LUV24BY; 05/06/08 06:28 PM.