Quote:

gusteve, where you able to wetsand the stipes with the black as well? or did you have to mask off and only wetsand the stripes, after wetsanding the whole body?

I had the body all wetsanded and buffed with my porter-cable polisher before I put the stripes on. (No wax on it, just poor-boys cutting compound stuff). I carefully sanded a little (1500 grit dry) where the stripes would be painted after I taped it off.

Just a note: there IS a difference in masking tape when doing stripes - I have a tiny bit of bleeding where I used cheaper tape.

At this point, on the rear decklid I'm just going to hit the thing one more time (stripes and all) with poorboys compound and then move on to wax. The spray-bomb went on so well that I don't need to wet-sand it. That's due to a lifetime of spraybombing stuff - when it starts to almost look good - STOP. Wait for it to dry for a day and do another coat. If you put it on too thick it looks like crap.

The hood is a different story, I didn't prep it well and now I'm paying the price. I'll need to wetsand the whole thing again (stripes and all) and then start from scratch on the poorboys compound regimen. And to be honest, I'm still not sure I even like the red stripes on the hood.

But - that's what's great about this! I can always re-sand and do the entire hood from scratch if I need to, and not have to worry about the rest of the car.

Lastly, I got a little red overspray on the back of the car when I did the decklid stripes. I though I had it masked well enough, but I ended up with overspray a good 3 feet from where I was painting. If this had been a REAL paintjob, I would have ruined it with the overspray. In the roll-on world, I just re-buffed those areas with cutting compound. Woohoo - problem solved!