Quote:

Does any1 have any experience on putting a fiberglass hood scoop on a existing hood without a scoop? after you place the scoop on and fiberglass/bondo/rivet it on do you cut away the hood under the sccop? Do you have to re-enforce the hood at that area? please help, want to place a scoop but not sure.

I have seen it done in quite a few different ways. The worse and cheapest looking 'attempts' are where the guy has simply riveted it on to the hood and then tried to bondo the edges of the scoop and rivets to try to make it look like it belongs there.

The best I have seen is where the guys have templated the scoop's position on the hood, then cut away from the hood and inserted the scoop piece by attaching it under the hood. The biggest problem is that if the hood has 'bracing' under the area where you want to place the scoop... then you have to cut away the underhood bracing that would stop you from getting a flush fit underneath.

The other problem is what the scoop is made from... and what the hood is made of... For example :

a ) a fiberglass hood with the addition of a fiberglass scoop... is probably the easiest for someone familiar with working with fiberglass. Its probably the easiest situation to adhere and to blend together so that they look like original.

b ) a metal hood with a metal scoop is also fairly easiest to produce a fairly professional look and finish.

c ) a metal hood with a fiberglass scoop is also fairly easy to do and produce a fairly original look with.

d ) a metal or fiberglass hood with a polyurathane scoop is usually the biggest pain in the butt for getting a professional / original look to it. These are those type of scoops you see sold that come with two way tape and the guys just tape them on to their hoods. Ugh...

Part of the game is deciding whether you are going to make it a decorative scoop or a functional scoop. Normally the functional scoop almost always requires that the hood be cut...

And I guess the other part of this equation is whether you are buying some 'third party' scoop ( in which case you simply have to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturers ) OR whether you are being a bit of a customizer and adding some original factory scoop off a similar or different model of car and incorporating it into your vehicle ( in which you are best off imitating how the original manufacturer did their installation ).

One nice thing is that once you have narrowed down your answers to the above questions, I am pretty sure you will be able to hunt down quite a few fully detailed 'how to' instructions via a search with Google. The odds are that no matter how odd or routine your scoop plan is, there is probably someone out there that has already gone that route and lived to tell about it on the Internet