Quote:

on the other hand the 6 Herbie cars used for the movie were compleatly restored from the ground up

Funny stories for your from my past. I had a Volks Beetle for one winter ( back when I was in University in the 70s ). What I remember the most about that car is that it used the GAS POWERED HEATER... where there is basically a gasoline burning flamethrower under the hood of the car. Well... something went seriously wrong with the heater and I had tons of smoke filling the passenger compartment - the whole damn heater had caught on fire and was doing a meltdown. So I raised the hood and stuck a chemical powder fire extinguisher into the intake of the heater and blasted the sucker, putting the fire out. The funny part is if you had seen the inside of the car after. All that yellow fire extinguisher power had filled up every nook and cranny of the interior of the car...

One thing I don't know at this time, and you reminded me of it when you mentioned the full restoration done on those Herbies... and the question is : Are they not still producing Volkswagon Beetles down in South America somewhere ? I know that for the longest time after they stopped selling them in North America, they were still building them down in South America ( where there were less stringent safety and enviromental laws ).

Last edited by Marq; 03/20/09 10:54 PM.