wow...4 days of educational and often times entertaining reading...

found this thread from an article in hot rod magazine. i've read every post and feel like i know many of you already.

ive got an '81 ford f-150...when i pulled it out of the field it was in it had dodge rims so i hope that counts...lol

anyway..ive been in the house painting business for years and know a thing or two about oil based paints. ive painted many surfaces, structures, and vehicles over the years, but never thought to roll my truck. i already had figured i'd use rustoleum or something similar but intended to spray it. what i hate about spraying oil based paints is how the overspray rolls and gums up the surface...ive painted cars in the past by hand but always rolled the paint on then back brushed it.
so as i read all of your trials, experiments, insights, and successes i began prepping my truck for paint. i descided to pretty much take 69 chargers method. i like penetrol and jap drier but opted out. also being that i was going red i was worried about coverage so i ended up using ace rust stop tractor paint....international harvester red..it covers better and if its good enough for a tractor its good enough for me.

here are a few shots...just put the first coat on today. relatively large amount of orange peel....roughly 20% spirits, but wanted a good base coat. i dont mind sanding either. ill be moving to thinner coats as more get applied.

i did use the foam roller which worked okay, however the roller itself is a cause for bubbles...all my bubbles did disapear though. i will be switching to a velour roller. ive used them for years painting elevator doors, cabinets, and other furniture items that were not practical to spray. thanks again to you all for the inspiration and advise. i look forward to meeting you all.

coat1

Last edited by makers13; 07/25/08 11:04 AM.