Quote:

Speaking of Satin Black:

After weeks of prep and crappy weather (too hot or raining) I was able to start rolling again this morning.

I'm hoping to pull it out of the garage later and late it bake in the sun, then I can do another coat this evening.

The bondo just sucks the paint in, so I think I'll start priming those areas first.

I hereby rename Satin black to be SATEN black!

That is one of the reasons that when you have a fair bit of bondo on the body... it pays to lay down a good primer coat. That would basically stop the bondo from sucking in the freshly laid paint and it gives the car body one uniform color to begin the painting from...

Sadly... when you see your freshly laid paint being sucked into the bondo.. what is happening is that the bondo is sucking in the paint carrier. So instead of that carrier slowly evaporating out from the paint to the air... it is getting drawn down and into the bondo. So the paint cures or hardens at a different rate or speed. A possible whacky side effect is that the carrier being drawn into the bondo may in fact work to soften the bondo. And when the paint layer dries, the carrier trapped down in the bondo will not be able to rise and easily evaporate through the skin of the paint. It may cause sort of a blister type effect as the gas evaporating from the bondo and gets trapped under the paint skin.

It may seem like it is adding an extra step to the work... but in the long run putting a good quality primer over bondo actually ends up saving you work and gives a more predictable result along the way.

As I had mentioned previously... the folks who make Brightside paint also make a great primer that you can roll on. The nice thing is that you can use their primer whether you are going to do Brightside as your paint or whether you are going to use Tremclad/Rustoleum. It comes in a standard light gray color or in a blueish color primer. I wish they had a black primer in their line up....

But it rolls on thick enough to equal 3 to 5 sprayed on coats... and that gives you a lot of 'filling' capability ( to fill in any scratches or surface imperfections ) plus you have enough thickness to sand it smooth as a baby's bum.

Last edited by Marq; 06/16/07 04:44 PM.