Quote:

Not going well for me im getting a lot of roller marks, orange peel and patches of shine and then patches of matt. Ive been thinning 10% with mineral spirits (Disolvente here in Spain) and also tried increasing the amount of thinner and tried applying very little at once and a lot with similar results. Anyone got any ideas from the pics and description, any help very much appreciated;

What brand of paint are you using ?

And is the mineral spirits (Disolvente in Spain) a 100% pure mineral spirit or is it mineral spirit mixed with other thinner type solvents ?

How many coats of paint is that in the picture ?

It looks like quite a bad case of orange peel. Actually it looks more like the texture on an elephant's bum You will probably have to let it dry for a few days and then sand it down to a smooth surface before adding any more coats of paint.

My initial guess at what happened is that it looks like more than one coat and the first coat was not fully cured or hardened. When the next coat was added, the solvent softened the lower layer of paint and caused the wrinkles.

The flat spots ( without the gloss ) might indicate that the lower layer was not fully cured and hardened before the next coat was added. This would result in the vapors from the mineral spirit of the lower coat evaporating up and through the coat above it. The escaping vapors would give the top surface a matte look.

Those are my first thoughts... But I would probably want more info about the brand of paint and whether the mineral spirits were 100% pure mineral spirits..

Last edited by Marq; 05/29/07 08:10 AM.