Quote:

nice orange.

i was wondering you guys... ive got a brand new body kit for my cav. im wanting to paint it using the roller method. how would i prep a unpainted fiberglass bumper? just roll it on?

First thing you would need to determine is whether the fiberglass bumper is 'paint ready' or not.

Most fiberglass autobody parts are either shipped from the factory with minimal surface preparation or 'ready to paint'.

If the surface looks pretty smooth and 'looks' like it is ready to paint on... then you will probably need to give the entire surface a wipe down with cloth dampened with pure mineral spirits. The point of this wipe down is to remove any chemicals on the surface of the body part that might have attached during the molding process. In the molds they usually add some chemical so that when the fiberglass sets... they can easily remove it from the mold. Once the surface has been cleaned of any foreign matter, you should be able to begin rolling as per the Charger recipe.

If the body part surface is not smooth to the touch.. you may have to do a light hand sanding to smooth it out. Again... you will go through the wipe down with the mineral spirit dampened cloth - to remove any foreign matter off the surface of the body panel. Then you can proceed to the rolling as per the Charger recipe.

This topic about surface preparation also applies to the ABS / plastic aero-effects parts as well. As the ABS / plastic parts often are sold with the mold separation chemical still adhering to the part. If you don't clean it off the paint won't be able to secure its adhesion to the body part.

Hope this helps...