Quote:

hello.

so i decided to try this method. i did all the body work primed the car wetsanded and preped it for paint.

i mixed it 1:1 with mineral sprits (im using tremclad/rustoleum), when i apply it on the car its really glossy but this mornign when it dried it was flat no shine whatsoever.

should i be taking out as much pant as i can from the roller then apply very thin coats on the car?

thanks

At this point in your painting adventure you should not be looking for any magical shine to happen with the Tremclad/Rustoleum/mineral spirit.

At this point you are simply building up your thin layers of color so that after x number of coats you will have full coverage of the color over the entire car.

At this point... the 'shine' you see while the paint is wet is simply a good indicator of what you 'should' be able to polish, shine and wax the final coat up to.... You can also use the temporary shine while it is wet to identify areas where you may have to pay a little attention during the wet sanding stages.

One of the reasons I shifted from the Tremclad/Rustoleum method over to the Brightside paint is that the polyurathane of the Brightside DOES keep its shine after each coat of paint is added.

But the Tremclad/Rustoleum is an enamel and because it is cut thin with the mineral spirits, you lose the shine that you would have gotten if you had just slapped 100% Rustoleum/Tremclad on the parts being painted. That is why the final stage of the Tremclad/Rustoleum paint job really needs the polishing and waxing at the end of the job to regain the shine on the Tremclad/Rustoleum paint job.

As you may have noticed... there are three derivatives of this roller at the moment.. :

a ) Just Tremclad/Rustoleum and mineral spirits - which requires more final wet sanding, compounding, polishing and waxing to reach a maximum shine...

b ) Just Brightside and mineral spirit or the Brightside thinner... which requires a little less final wet sanding, polishing and waxing since the final coat would have had more gloss then the final coat of Tremclad/Rustoleum

OR the HYBRID... which I and some others have done :

c ) Where we used the Rustoleum/Tremclad to get the paint and color coverage on the car. Then we switched over to the Brightside to do the final coats of paint. This gives us the benefits of B ( more shine and polyurathane protection ) and some of the cost savings of A ( Tremclad/Rustoleum is cheaper per quart then Brightside ).

At this point in your paint job... go with whatever percentage of paint and mineral spirit that works best for you and does not give you the dreaded 'orange peel'. At this stage this is your primary concern when trying to figure out what percentage of paint to mineral spirit to be using.

Hope this helps

Marq