Quote:

When I wipe something down I use two rags, one with solvent the other dry, wipe then dry turning the rags often.

I agree... it's possible that there are all kinds of foreign matter on that 'primed' hood.

Its the same type of situation as 'brand new' reproduction fiberglass or molded plastic parts. In the molds, they use some kind of liquid to allow the parts to be removed easily from the molds. That coating is like a paint repellant

So you sand down the priming on metal parts, wipe it down with the mineral spirits and wipe dry with a clean cloth.

With the 'brand new' fiberglass parts you use a very fine sanding paper to remove the outer coating and then wipe down with a mineral soaked cloth to break up any surfactants that might still be there.

The 'brand new' injected plastic parts usually just need a wipe down with a mineral soaked cloth - unless of course they have sprayed some kind of 'primer' on to the plastic part. Then you would just lightly sand the surface and then follow up with the dampened mineral spirit cloth to rid any remaining surfactants.