Hi – thanks for the info on the Prevail sprayer. I have contacted the company for a UK stockist or USA outlet. It would certainly be cheaper than having an aerosol made up as I could buy the “ready to spray” basecoat and use the Prevail instead.

Hi Quickdodge: Re your comments about brushing or rolling a paint intended for spray application possibly having a negative effect on the finish. (durability, appearance, etc.). I hear what you are saying, but my understanding is that the solvent in 2K car paints is designed to atomise and carry the paint to the panel and then evaporate out by flashing and curing, then the paint cures as it catalyses with the isocyanate hardener.

I am hoping that delivering the paint to the panel by brush and roller will have no different effect as the chemical and curing reaction will be the same. In fact the brushed or rolled finish should be easier to wetsand smooth as my spray set up was never powerful enough to avoid the dreaded OP. I would need to watch that I did not load too much paint on at any time to give enough time for solvents to flash, to avoid solvent pop.

The fact that you have never heard of anyone testing the idea of brushing a paint intended for spray application is enough to get me to have a go as that is what started this thread and the roller concept in the first place. Nothing to lose and loads to gain - if only experience! I have got as far as applying primer and blocking a scrap panel and will soon be applying base and 2K clear and will post the results here at some point soon.

In the UK there is an official safety spec sheet that deals with application of 2K clear with rollers or brushes so it must be something that is practiced in some professional booths as we amateurs are not allowed to use the stuff are we.

I agree with your caution on using isocyanates, which is another strong reason for me discontinuing the practice of spraying 2K in my garage. The isos in my garage could give me asthma. The isos that escape wouldn’t do my neighbours much good either! Strangely it is not 2K that affects me, but 1K primers which give me a tight chest for a couple of days after, but that is probably because I am so scared of isos that I use all protective gear so I am not exposing myself to them whereas I have been more relaxed using primer so I have breathed this stuff in using only a respirator. For painting 2K I use an air fed mask (Hobbyair) even if I am using roller or brush – not worth the risk relying on the draft from an open door for clean air.

Oh and Hi ZIPPY, from Z1PPY!

Last edited by Z1PPY; 08/28/09 05:24 AM.