[QUOTE]That is weird. It sounds like you well sanded the surface and there shouldn't have been anything to cause a repellant type effect. The only thing I could think of would possibly be if you didn't use a clean cloth, dampened with mineral spirits, to wipe down the entire surface prior to painting....[/QUOTE]

Marq, as I recall, I think I might have just used a damp cloth to wipe down the truck after sanding down and roughing up the factory paint, then let it dry before applying my 50 50 mix of gloss white Rusto paint and white Rusto primer.

I bought a can of spray on Rusto in gloss white, and was thinking of using that to cover up the places where the factory paint is showing through, just to get some initial coverage to keep the factory paint from showing, then brushing or rolling on a couple coats of Rusto from the can with mineral spirits in the regular way.

I have a few places, like the edge of my hood, that I keep accidentally sanding down to the factory paint, and then when I try to brush on or roll on new paint, it just won't stick and is repelled similar to an oil and water effect. However, the spray on stuff sticks fine, even to unsanded factory paint, ad doesn't show through either.

Has anyone here combined rattle can spray on Rusto and the regular paint? I used spray on for my door jambs, and while it's not a perfect match, it's good enough for my purposes. I'm just worried though that the spray on paint might react with the roll on paint if the two are layered on top of each other.

If no one else has tried this, I guess I'll be the guinea pig and let you guys know how it goes.

Last edited by Peckinpah; 08/14/09 06:55 PM.