Quote:

Could someone who's got more knowledge about this process and is more familiar than I am with all the info set down in these many pages help me out? I painted one car over the summer that came out pretty good, and sold it. I'm ready to try again on my bus that I will be keeping. I've read MANY (100's!?) of pages trying to find out what kind of paint (alkyl enamel, not marine poly) I can find that I can get tinted to particular color swatches. I read that one person was able to get Rustoleum tinted at a HD; my local stores won't. I found "XO Rust" locally with a limited range of colors they can tint to. Anyone know of any other options, other than experimenting with my own mixing of different colors I can get at the local store? Your help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks

http://carpainting.wetpaint.com/?t=anon

this method has its own wiki now, and it covers the basics. I'd start there for an abbreviated guide.

As far as paint, I found that Ace Hardware has everything I need. Their Rust Stop paint is made by Sherwin Williams, is cheaper than Rust Oleum, and has a tintable base for custom color matching. Don't waste your time on the Ace website, it's not user friendly. Go in to their paint department, pick up a brochure on the Rust Stop paint, then find the most experienced sales agent in the department and talk to them. The first time I went into our Ace, I talked to a young kid and he kept telling me that there was no custom color matching on Rust Stop paint. It took an older sales agent to straighten him out.

Hope that helps. . .