Quote:

It is funny you should mention this as I thought a couple people (or at least 1) had used Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #7 with success. This contains petroleum distillates and I would think is safe for our paint jobs. I will probably give a test area some attention with this to see how it works out. Is that comment from experience, something you read etc.?

I am basing it on two things... one being my hands on experiments with various polishes and waxes, and the other being simple logic...

The simple logic is that our paint jobs made extensive use of 'mineral spirits' to thin down the paint for applying. And we already know that it takes X amount of time for the mineral spirit ( which is being used as the 'carrier' ) to fully evaporate from the layers of paint we lay down. So it only would be logical that if you put something on to our paint ( before it is 100% cured ) that contains a distillate, then it may act to weaken the paint or at least cause some form of discoloration. This is even more likely when we are polishing and actually removing a thin layer of the outer skin of the paint and exposing a less cured or less hardened surface underneath.

Now... flip back to a 'genuine' factory paint job for a second. Those puppys are baked on at high heat. Hence no carrier is sitting in the paint at all. And since most folks would never lay a cleansing polish on a fresh factory paint job... it is only an aged or absolutely cured paint job that you might safely use one of those 'cleanser' type polishes that contain a distilate.