Quote:

Ahhh. I'm really glad the primer question came up. I've been puzzling over this too, since I have a lot of spot bodywork to do. I don't have any rust -- just some dents and dings.

So, given that, how would you guys rank -- or comment on -- the following options for spot bodywork / primering?

Preparation: Remove paint to bare metal, do metal work and bondo work. Now...

Option 1 : Spray a 2K primer with a Preval sprayer.
Questions: When I read about these products, it's always being discussed by professionals and they always default to 2 steps: First PRIMER then PRIMER/SURFACER. Is this necessary?

Option 2 : Roll on a primer specifically made for rolling such as PPG's or U-POL.
Questions: Sounds great at first, but when you read the literature, it looks like these are primer surfacers. They suggest applying an etch primer to bare steel first. Hmmm. Sounds like 2 steps and 2 different types of primer again... Or -- is my bondo coat the first (DTM) layer so I don't have to worry about this?

Option 3 : Roll on Rustoleum or Interlux primer.
Questions: Wondering it this stuff will work well over the bondo and not just soak in. As well, drying times will be longer (than the catylyzed options above) -- which make it a little more of a pain. Especially concerned about it not being fully dry or not drying properly if it sinks into the bondo which might trap solvents deep down...

Thanks in advance -- Dan.

Honestly the easiest thing to do if you're only doing spot repairs (don't need to prime the entire car) is just to use a spray can primer. If you have a lot of deep sanding scratches, tiny pinholes in body filler, or other imperfections you can shoot it with a primer/surfacer and sand it smooth. Seems like most of the ones you find in a can are lacquer based so there probably won't be a compatibility issue with your Rustoleum. The Rustoleum primer in a gallon can is *extremely* high in solids, and takes a lot longer to cure than a spray primer. On the other hand, it covers like crazy . If you use it out of the can, you'll get full coverage in one coat (at least I have).

Over the years I've burned up a lot of rattle can primer, and my favorite brand now is SEM. You won't find it in many regular auto parts stores, but most shops that sell auto body paint and supplies will usually have their stuff. It's not super cheap, but it's really good stuff. I'm a really big fan of their self-etching primer. Their primer/surfacer is really good too. Everyone has their own favorite though...