Quote:

ok here is my test piece done with combi color (RUSTOLEUM ) final coat wetsanded 1000g and 1500g
than i hit it with SIMONIZ BLACK WAX/POLISH using
the cheapo orbital polisher i got here and all i get is this kinda dull shine .

what to do next ??

You didn't mention whether you had hit it with a rubbing compound....

The original choice by Charger was the Turtle Rubbing compound... others have focused on the Poor Boy products. I used the 3m Rubbing Compound....

When you have taken the paint to your highest grit for wetsanding, you should move next to the rubbing compound to further smooth the surface.

I can't speak to much about the Simonize product, but it is probably more of a cleaner/wax then a polish/wax. The difference being that the cleaner/wax does not have any grit to it... so it is simply cleaning surfactants off the surface and trying to lay down a wax coating. Whereas a polish/wax does have some grit to it and it is able to minutely grind some of the surface layer while laying down the coat of paint.

IF you go with the rubbing compound... that should actually be able to work you up to a dull shine all on its own.

You could then go on to just a straight carnuba wax after the compunding...

What you might want to try at this point is take your 2000 grit sandpaper, and do a very light wetsanding again. Then hit it with the rubbing compound to reach the dull shine stage. Then go for your choice of wax to lay down a protective sealant layer ( and max out the shine and gloss that you are able to achieve ).

You mention that you were using a Simonize Black type wax. IF it is one of those 'colored' waxes that have color loaded into them... I should mention that they are primarily for use on oxidized surfaces. It tries to impregnate the painted surface with the black die in the wax. It works great on a heavily oxidized surface that will suck in the black die color like a thirsty sponge. However, on a relatively sealed surface that isn't as porous as an oxidized surface, the black pigment may actually be interfering in your trying to get a maxxed out shine.

And just to round out the topic... the polisher machine... and the types of cloths or bonnets you put on the machine to spread and work the waxes or rubbing compound all have an effect on how the final product turns out.

Last edited by Marq; 04/10/08 02:22 AM.