Quote:

In reading all these threads the recurring theme that keeps coming back to me is that although you don't HAVE to use primer to get a good bond it seems like even with as many as ten coats you'd still wind up with a more consistent result if you DID use it.

After all, with the varying levels of sanding/buffing needed one will invariably wind up cutting down more coats in one place versus fewer coats in other places, and this could lead to color variations if the starting point is splotchy and dramatically different underneath from area to area. The primer coat pretty much eliminates this hassle by quickly providing a nice even starting point.

My .02

Regards,
Steve

I'd have to agree. I think in the attempt to make this process as cheap as possible the primer coat has been ignored. Somewhere in one of these threads there's discussion of roll-on primers, and even a link to an industry press release talking about recommendations for body-shops to roll on primer.

If you've done any body work on your car at all, primer is a must. Bondo will suck in the first 3 or 4 coats of paint, so it takes a lot more coats to get even coverage. If you primer at least those spots first everything goes much easier.

If I was to do another car I think I would try a rolled primer approach first as a base coat.